iPod Touch and Charging - Nissan Cube Forums: Nissan Cube Enthusiast Forum

Go Back   Nissan Cube Forums: Nissan Cube Enthusiast Forum > General Nissan Cube Discussions > Nissan Cube Forum General Discussion

CubeForums.com is the premier Nissan Cube Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default iPod Touch and Charging

In a way I bought my new Cube as a present for my new iPod Touch. My old car didn't have and auxiliary input for the iPod and rather then upgrading the radio in it, I bought a new Cube.

That said, when I plugged in the iPod it popped up a message telling me that charging the battery was not supported. It seems to work OK otherwise. I assume the iPhone would have the same issue.

I'm wondering if anyone else is using a current generation iPod Touch or iPhone in their Cube and if so, have they found a solution to the battery charging problem?

Beyond the charging issue, the interface to the iPod seems to work properly, though it's not obvious how to run the iPod from the radio.
Zinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Follow up

I figured this out myself and I'll post the solution here in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

Up till recently iPods could recharge from both USB (5 Volts) and Firewire (12 Volts). Some time back Apple told third party vendors not to use the 12 volt charging feature since it was not going to be supported in the future, but many of those vendors ignored that advice. Nissan was one of those.

The current generation iPod touch does not have the old 12 volt charging capability so any accessories that only offer 12 volt charging will no longer work. This device fixes that by converting the 12 volts to 5 volts. You just stick it between your iPod and the device.

Amazon.com: Scosche Charging Adapter for iPod touch 2G, iPod nano 4G, iPhone 3G (Black): Electronics

I have one on order.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds like you found the solution, let us know for sure it works when you get.
AGCube is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGCube View Post
Sounds like you found the solution, let us know for sure it works when you get.
I got the unit and tested it yesterday. The iPod now tells me it's charging.

Though it would have been much better for Nissan to have addressed this issue in the first place, at least we have a working solution. The only downside is the extra length and set of connectors added. This may well be problematic after a few years of use. In addition the Scosche adaptor doesn't have the latches that the Nissan cable connector has so there may be a tendency for it to fall out. Time will tell.

I understand there are other alternatives to the Scosche. For instance Alpine makes a similar adaptor.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Glad to hear you got it working. I know what you mean about addressing the problem, while the limitation are documented I'm sure there we be more than few owner disappointed.
AGCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've had this adapter since May and have not had any problems with it falling out or disconnecting. Rock solid.
ChromiumTHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Ordered

Just got my cube on Nov 1st and very very excited about my new toy!! HAAHAH

Anyway found out my iTouch was not charging so just ordered the adapter. found it with Best Buy but Amazon was cheaper by a few bucks...

Love the ability to play my playlists. You should see my iTunes.. there are a TON of playlists.
lukkypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you had an older Nano, it would charge perfectly, although it would be great to have the new IPod Touch. Someday.....
skycrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinker View Post
In a way I bought my new Cube as a present for my new iPod Touch. My old car didn't have and auxiliary input for the iPod and rather then upgrading the radio in it, I bought a new Cube.
Thanks for the advice. Just bought an IPOD Touch as a Christmas present for my new Cube!

Ordered the adapter at the same time. Saved me some time.
eadien7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Smile

I like the article, but that from the article I know maybe we can be good friends.
calculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement