Go Back   Nissan Cube Forums: Nissan Cube Enthusiast Forum

CubeForums.com is the premier Nissan Cube Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Nissan Cube Forums: Nissan Cube Enthusiast Forum

Nissan Cube Forums: Nissan Cube Enthusiast Forum (https://www.cubeforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nissan Cube Forum General Discussion (https://www.cubeforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   iPod Touch and Charging (https://www.cubeforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147)

Zinker 08-13-2009 09:25 AM

iPod Touch and Charging

In a way I bought my new Cube as a present for my new iPod Touch. My old car didn't have and auxiliary input for the iPod and rather then upgrading the radio in it, I bought a new Cube.

That said, when I plugged in the iPod it popped up a message telling me that charging the battery was not supported. It seems to work OK otherwise. I assume the iPhone would have the same issue.

I'm wondering if anyone else is using a current generation iPod Touch or iPhone in their Cube and if so, have they found a solution to the battery charging problem?

Beyond the charging issue, the interface to the iPod seems to work properly, though it's not obvious how to run the iPod from the radio.

Zinker 08-14-2009 10:43 PM

Follow up

I figured this out myself and I'll post the solution here in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

Up till recently iPods could recharge from both USB (5 Volts) and Firewire (12 Volts). Some time back Apple told third party vendors not to use the 12 volt charging feature since it was not going to be supported in the future, but many of those vendors ignored that advice. Nissan was one of those.

The current generation iPod touch does not have the old 12 volt charging capability so any accessories that only offer 12 volt charging will no longer work. This device fixes that by converting the 12 volts to 5 volts. You just stick it between your iPod and the device.

Amazon.com: Scosche Charging Adapter for iPod touch 2G, iPod nano 4G, iPhone 3G (Black): Electronics

I have one on order.

AGCube 08-17-2009 12:09 PM

Sounds like you found the solution, let us know for sure it works when you get.

Zinker 08-20-2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGCube (Post 556)
Sounds like you found the solution, let us know for sure it works when you get.

I got the unit and tested it yesterday. The iPod now tells me it's charging.

Though it would have been much better for Nissan to have addressed this issue in the first place, at least we have a working solution. The only downside is the extra length and set of connectors added. This may well be problematic after a few years of use. In addition the Scosche adaptor doesn't have the latches that the Nissan cable connector has so there may be a tendency for it to fall out. Time will tell.

I understand there are other alternatives to the Scosche. For instance Alpine makes a similar adaptor.

AGCube 08-21-2009 10:53 AM

Glad to hear you got it working. I know what you mean about addressing the problem, while the limitation are documented I'm sure there we be more than few owner disappointed.

ChromiumTHC 09-04-2009 03:28 PM

I've had this adapter since May and have not had any problems with it falling out or disconnecting. Rock solid.

lukkypuppy 11-13-2009 01:04 PM

Ordered

Just got my cube on Nov 1st and very very excited about my new toy!! HAAHAH

Anyway found out my iTouch was not charging so just ordered the adapter. found it with Best Buy but Amazon was cheaper by a few bucks...

Love the ability to play my playlists. You should see my iTunes.. there are a TON of playlists.

skycrowe 11-13-2009 03:04 PM

If you had an older Nano, it would charge perfectly, although it would be great to have the new IPod Touch. Someday.....

eadien7 12-01-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zinker (Post 541)
In a way I bought my new Cube as a present for my new iPod Touch. My old car didn't have and auxiliary input for the iPod and rather then upgrading the radio in it, I bought a new Cube.

Thanks for the advice. Just bought an IPOD Touch as a Christmas present for my new Cube! :D

Ordered the adapter at the same time. Saved me some time.

calculator 12-08-2009 02:35 AM

I like the article, but that from the article I know maybe we can be good friends.:p

mighty 12-14-2009 03:27 PM

Well we were very excited that the 2010's went to USB. So now our iphones charge and talk the way they should. I almost ordered one of the adapters for my husband for christmas thinking he would need one. Glad I waited. :)

wi11ie 09-29-2013 08:03 PM

Old thread, but my GF just got a 2010 and where mine has a usb connector hers has some kinda freaky wide thing that doesn't resemble firewire or usb ..What gives here?

Zinker 09-29-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wi11ie (Post 11113)
Old thread, but my GF just got a 2010 and where mine has a usb connector hers has some kinda freaky wide thing that doesn't resemble firewire or usb ..What gives here?

I traded my 2009 Cube for a new 2013 model in August. I was happy to see a USB port in place of the big connector the 2009 (and apparently the 2010) model had. I just left the old Nissan adapter cable (purchased from the dealer as I recall) and my third party iPod adapter in the glove box of the 09.

The new radio is a vast improvement over the old. I got the model with the GPS and rear camera. The interface is much more friendly and the XM display now shows four lines instead of just one chopped off line.

My only gripe now is the Cube's USB port doesn't charge my iPad. It charges the old iPod Touch just fine and I can access tracks on the iPad through the USB cable. I'm assuming the charging power is too low for the iPad. The iPad would not charge in the old Cube either. I bought a separate charging cable that connects to the cigarette lighter plug which charges the iPad nicely but of course I can't play tunes and charge at the same time unless I also run an audio cable between the iPad headphone jack and the Cube's Aux input and control it all from the iPad directly.

It seems you can never have perfection.

wi11ie 09-29-2013 11:44 PM

Where can I get one of those (wide,crappy,weird plugs) to plain old USB adaptors?

Zinker 09-30-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wi11ie (Post 11129)
Where can I get one of those (wide,crappy,weird plugs) to plain old USB adaptors?

I'd recommend contacting the parts department at your local Nissan dealer. I believe it's a proprietary design so you aren't likely to find one outside of Nissan. As I recall, I paid $30 for mine at the dealer. The car did not come with the cable. This does not give you a USB connector but rather an iPod style plug.

robartbs556 10-03-2013 08:07 AM

Great

Sounds like people located the perfect solution is, tell us for sure the item is effective after you obtain.

wi11ie 10-03-2013 10:48 AM

Thanks! Perhaps they can actually help besides just look at me crazy..(Like Normal)

marsalbd98 10-20-2013 09:34 AM

hi

Seems like you found the solution, inform us without a doubt the idea performs whenever you acquire.

kou 09-07-2017 11:42 PM

Sound good. Thanks.

Yvonne 01-29-2020 01:54 AM

Best criminology essay writing firm

Mine had some issues but was lucky to get assistance as soon as possible. I understand how stressful this can be.

Yvonne 01-29-2020 01:58 AM

Best criminology essay writing firm

If you need help with solving your iPod touch and charging you can read replies in this forum. They have been of great help to me.