Originally Posted by jkm
Not sure if I did the right thing getting the extended warranty. It cost just under $2000 for an extra 5 years. The warranty lists lots of exceptions though and of course there are the deductibles. The dealer told me that if I didn't have a claim 8 years from now that I would get my money back, but I now see that I will only get $1000 back. Other parts of the policy are just vague or complicated. Some parts seem OK to really good but it's really hard to know what will or won't get covered when the time comes.
I should have asked the dealer if she would encourage a relative or close friend to buy this. Anyone have experience with the extended warranty or can comment?
Is this a Nissan Security+Plus product backed by Nissan? From what you describe it sounds like an aftermarket product.
The Nissan Security+Plus products can be cancelled at any given time for a pro-rated refund. However in the first 60 days you can cancel for 100% refund. There is no refund for non-use.
Whenever researching an extended service contract, keep this to do list in mind:
- Always ask for the actual (or sample) copy of the service agreement that you will be purchasing. This allows for you to identify items that may or may not be covered under the product.
- Always call your local repair shop and Nissan dealer. Ask them if they accept or have had dealt with the service contract product you are considering. This will give you a good read on whether the company you are considering actually pays their claims.
- Have questions about what is covered and what is not? Call the claims number on the service agreement you requested earlier. This will allow you to see how quick and how knowledgeable the companies claim department is with its customers.
- Always check A.M. Best rating of the administrator of the product. This should be an A or better.
- Always check with the BBB for the rating on the seller and administrator of the product. Yes, these are often times different.
- Never purchase an extended warranty from a company that will not provide you with contact information (eg. address, phone number, etc).
*** Remember - eligibility for a Nissan factory backed service contract is available while under Nissan factory warranty for Nissan Security+Plus Gold Preferred (the best that Nissan offers). Plus you may still be eligible for a Pre-Owned plan if you are less than 5 years and 60k miles from original purchase date.
Be sure your Nissan Extended Warranty is Genuine
by visiting: Nissan Extended Warranty
--Follow us on Twitter @NissanWarranty
--Have you checked your Nissan Recalls
--Do you "really"
know your Nissan Factory Warranty