I got the extended warranty and have 30 days to cancel. - Nissan Cube Forums: Nissan Cube Enthusiast Forum

Go Back   Nissan Cube Forums: Nissan Cube Enthusiast Forum > General Nissan Cube Discussions > Nissan Cube Forum General Discussion

CubeForums.com is the premier Nissan Cube Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 01:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
jkm

Default I got the extended warranty and have 30 days to cancel.

Not sure if I did the right thing getting the extended warranty. It cost just under $2000 for an extra 5 years. The warranty lists lots of exceptions though and of course there are the deductibles. The dealer told me that if I didn't have a claim 8 years from now that I would get my money back, but I now see that I will only get $1000 back. Other parts of the policy are just vague or complicated. Some parts seem OK to really good but it's really hard to know what will or won't get covered when the time comes.

I should have asked the dealer if she would encourage a relative or close friend to buy this. Anyone have experience with the extended warranty or can comment?
jkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't keep vehicles for more than a few years, so I've never gotten one myself nor do I ever plan to. I did however find this article to be helpful.

Car Warranty Basics - Are Extended Warranties worth the Money?

• 2009 Nissan Versa 1.8S Hatchback (wifes)
  • 2005 Chrysler 300 Touring (mine)
  • Hope to trade 300 in for Cube in the near future

bondiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
jkm

Yes, thank you!
Old 03-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Default Nissan Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkm View Post
Not sure if I did the right thing getting the extended warranty. It cost just under $2000 for an extra 5 years. The warranty lists lots of exceptions though and of course there are the deductibles. The dealer told me that if I didn't have a claim 8 years from now that I would get my money back, but I now see that I will only get $1000 back. Other parts of the policy are just vague or complicated. Some parts seem OK to really good but it's really hard to know what will or won't get covered when the time comes.

I should have asked the dealer if she would encourage a relative or close friend to buy this. Anyone have experience with the extended warranty or can comment?
Is this a Nissan Security+Plus product backed by Nissan? From what you describe it sounds like an aftermarket product.

The Nissan Security+Plus products can be cancelled at any given time for a pro-rated refund. However in the first 60 days you can cancel for 100% refund. There is no refund for non-use.

Whenever researching an extended service contract, keep this to do list in mind:

- Always ask for the actual (or sample) copy of the service agreement that you will be purchasing. This allows for you to identify items that may or may not be covered under the product.

- Always call your local repair shop and Nissan dealer. Ask them if they accept or have had dealt with the service contract product you are considering. This will give you a good read on whether the company you are considering actually pays their claims.

- Have questions about what is covered and what is not? Call the claims number on the service agreement you requested earlier. This will allow you to see how quick and how knowledgeable the companies claim department is with its customers.

- Always check A.M. Best rating of the administrator of the product. This should be an A or better.

- Always check with the BBB for the rating on the seller and administrator of the product. Yes, these are often times different.

- Never purchase an extended warranty from a company that will not provide you with contact information (eg. address, phone number, etc).

*** Remember - eligibility for a Nissan factory backed service contract is available while under Nissan factory warranty for Nissan Security+Plus Gold Preferred (the best that Nissan offers). Plus you may still be eligible for a Pre-Owned plan if you are less than 5 years and 60k miles from original purchase date.

Be sure your Nissan Extended Warranty is Genuine by visiting: Nissan Extended Warranty

--Follow us on Twitter @NissanWarranty
--Have you checked your Nissan Recalls lately?
--Do you "really" know your Nissan Factory Warranty?
NissanWarranty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
jkm

Yes, it was an aftermarket policy sold to me by the dealer. I cancelled it and feel alot better. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

I got the extended Nissan Warranty. I ALWAYS buy the warranty from the car manufacturer (never aftermarket warranties) for the duration of the loan at least. To me it's as important as GAP insurance.
KandA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
jkm

I'm not aware if Nissan offers an extended warranty here in Canada. I assume the dealer would have tried to sell me that instead. What does Nissan charge for it in the US?
Old 03-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkm View Post
I'm not aware if Nissan offers an extended warranty here in Canada. I assume the dealer would have tried to sell me that instead. What does Nissan charge for it in the US?
Visit Nissan Extended Warranty to look up different term and mileage options. To many to list here.
NissanWarranty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

When we bought our previous Nissan, the dealer did NOT offer us the Nissan extended warranty, but offered us a 3rd party extended warranty instead. When we bought our cube, they had both available, but stated that they felt the Nissan one was a better product.
ws350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

I also purchased the 5 Year Extended Warranty (from Nissan) when I bought my Cube. I do keep my vehicles for a very long time (my Infinity J30 was 16 when I traded it in) and am convinced it is worth the money. A story a friend told me comes to mind. He opted to not purchase an extended warranty and right after his vehicle turned 3 the transmission went out. The $2000 seems like a lot now but down the road if something goes out I want to be covered. It seems like the largest repairs are needed when you can least afford them!
Green Pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement