"Service Engine Soon" light - Nissan Cube Forums: Nissan Cube Enthusiast Forum

Go Back   Nissan Cube Forums: Nissan Cube Enthusiast Forum > General Nissan Cube Discussions > Nissan Cube Forum General Discussion

CubeForums.com is the premier Nissan Cube Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 11:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default "Service Engine Soon" light

I just hit 1000 miles today. At 1012 miles the "Service Engine Soon" light illuminated. Other then the warning, everything else seems normal.

I had just washed the car with my new pressure washer. I wonder if water got someplace where it shouldn't go?

I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say.
Zinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Is your gas cap tight? New cars have a very sensitive emission controls system and don't like leaks in the gas tank.
AGCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGCube View Post
Is your gas cap tight? New cars have a very sensitive emission controls system and don't like leaks in the gas tank.
I last filled the tank several days ago and have gone through about 2/3s of a tank since. I checked it anyway and it seemed to be OK.

I'll be visiting the dealer tomorrow afternoon. I'll post back with what they find.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

The light came on when my SL had only 440 miles on it. I called the dealer and they suggested tightening the gas cap. Light went off after about 100 miles. After that I made sure that the gas cap is always tightly screwed. Then light came on again at the begininng of my 600 mile journey. I pulled over, tightened the cap, and went the entire journey (with gas refills twice) but the light never went off. Finally when I was about to get back home, it went off again. I went to the service and told them about it but they said they couldn't do anything now since the light is off and there was no way to diagnose what had gone wrong. That answer was not satisfactory so I kept an eye for anything that is amiss. Then last week I found that after filling the gas, the reading never went back to "full". I called the dealer and sent it in for service. They confirmed that my gas pressure sensor was not working and they ordered a replacement part. I will be picking up my cube today and we will see how long it will last before other problems appear.
takawira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Service Engine Soon - My fix

I brought mine in for service yesterday and they found a bad valve that controlled the carbon canister - part of the emissions control system. The dealer had the part in stock and I was back on the road in about 30 minutes.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Glad it was a quick fix. This valve seems to be the other common problem (but more so on 3-4 year old vehicles rather than a new one) with emission control systems. Its not just Nissan issue, its common to other manufactures as well.

Last edited by AGCube; 09-08-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Follow up

This past weekend, about 300 miles after the dealer fixed this problem, the light came back on. I took it in and they checked it again. The computer reported the same problem. Assuming it wasn't the same part bad, they looked further and found the pressure switch on the charcoal canister would not stay in place. This switch is intended to make sure the system is properly pressurized and has no leaks. Instead it is causing a leak.

They ordered a new charcoal canister assembly. I'm still driving with the light on until the part comes in, but the dealer assures me there is no real downside to this other then the annoying light.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Zinker,

Sorry to learn your SES light is back on. Kinda surprised me the vent solenoid valve failed so early. So it sounds like you have another/different leak somewhere in the emissions system.

Thankfully you are covered under the warranty for the cost, but no less a pain to keep brining it to the dealer. Some dealers have a smoke system they can use to better determine the location of the leak.

Hope they can fix it for good this time.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Have a new nissan versa for three months. My car also has the SES light on issue. And it was fixed for twice. They told me it is because the gas cap is not tight. But every time I turned the cap until 2-4 clicks. One of the service man told me it would be a 98$ charge for the same problem for the next time. But the car is still under warranty. Is there any other way to avoid the 98$ fee? I'll post again if my SES light is back. Thanks.
baoluogua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baoluogua View Post
Have a new nissan versa for three months. My car also has the SES light on issue. And it was fixed for twice. They told me it is because the gas cap is not tight. But every time I turned the cap until 2-4 clicks. One of the service man told me it would be a 98$ charge for the same problem for the next time.
In my case the light comes on well after I fill the tank. In both cases I filled the tank, then drove until the tank was half full before the light came on. The light remained on through a couple of more fillings until I had the car serviced. My service department mentioned the gas cap issue but agreed with me that this didn't seem like a likely cause.

If you are sure you are putting the gas cap on correctly, and the problem persists, either there is another problem or the cap design needs work. In either case I don't see how Nissan can justify charging you to check it. There is no reason to design and sell a product that a typical user won't be able to operate properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement